Monday, January 19, 2009

Freelance Success

I keep forgetting to let you all in on this web site that I learned about from Jackie Dishner, a fellow Phoenix-area freelancer I met in November on a press trip.

Jackie said she used to write for local publications, like many of us do, but found more lucrative work in the national market. I'm sure most or all of us would love to break into bigger publications, but how? 

Jackie dished the dirt: www.freelancesuccess.com. She said it's helped her immensely in landing gigs for national mags and web sites. It's $99 a year and gives tips on which editors are looking for which kinds of stories, with contact info.

I took some time off recently (just laziness, not like I went anywhere exciting or had secret plastic surgery or anything) and didn't check it out. But I signed up today and I have high hopes that it will launch my career into fascinating new territory. Maybe Cat Fancy will need my services! How about Architect Magazine? Heck, I'll take Plumbing Supplies Today if it means more than 30 cents a word.

All together now: "Thanks, Jackie!"

And on the same subject, I haven't been hearing from many of you lately, and hardly anyone is coming to the 60 Percenters lunch next Tuesday at noon at Curry Leaf in Ahwatukee (a few of us will be there, though). I started the group and this blog to share helpful info like this nugget from Jackie, or tips on publications to avoid due to non-payment, or advice on anything related to the freelance business. But it seems like no one is interested anymore. 

Does anyone out there care? Do you want me to keep organizing the monthly get-togethers? How about the blog? I won't keep bugging you if you don't want me to.

5 comments:

Heard Museum said...

We're just slammed here at the Heard or I would be at the most glorious and brilliant Let's Do Lunch. I've been quietly considering Freelance Success as well, Jackie told me about it a while back and now that it looks like I'll have a bit more time on my hands since I had to give up my 2009 plans of writing the book, I think I'll give it a whirl too!

jrndevil said...

I can't make the meetups b/c of my day job, but I enjoy the frankness and helpfulness of the members of the group via email and this blog. Please don't give up on us or the blog, Geri!

Slim Smith said...

I think there's a value in both the blog and the meetings, even though I've been somewhat lax in participating. So, yes, let's keep it going and, yes, let's all get involved!

Unknown said...

Hey Geri! Hi Deb! (waving my hands)

FreelanceSuccess.com is a great site, an online support system for freelancers, for sure. I've been a member for many years, having joined in 1999, I think.

Of course, I'm not sure it's the secret to your success, especially with national markets dropping like flies. Vogageur, which was a Carlson Worldwide Hotels publication, published its last issue this month, as did, I believe US Airways--two of my regular markets. In the last six months, someone has reported a magazine's death at least once a week. Two weeks ago, it was five in one week.

FLX, thankfully, also covers business writing and now blogging. So you'll get a lot for your money if you participate in the threads and read the newsletters, and maybe get involved in the query writing contests or take a class via one of the members. It's a great resource. I've tried it all, especially the query writing contests--so fun!

Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned this site, Geri. It's worth the investment.

As far as meeting in person, I'm game. I'm just in the middle of my book project and have very little social time till after Feb. 20.

And don't stop your blog--that's a great marketing tool for you. It helps keep your name out there. And it keeps your fellow writers informed. It's a smart thing to do.

Deb, I was just in Navajo Country and Hopiland this past week. Kept thinking about you and your work. I'll be calling you about a few things shortly.

All my best,
Jackie

Geri Koeppel said...

No wonder I never heard back on queries I sent recently to US Airways. They were great ideas that fit the magazine perfectly, too (IMO, of course). Good timing on my part!
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Jackie. And I didn't mean for the post to sound like all you have to do is join FLX and you'll be rolling in the money. I just meant to convey that it looks like a good resource for those trying to expand out of solely the local market.