Public Relations Specialist - Temporary - Marketing Department
SALARY: $26.44 - $27.88 per hour DOQ
OPPORTUNITY: Open Competitive
OPENING DATE: July 26, 2010
CLOSING DATE: August 6, 2010 at 5 p.m.
NOTE: This position is temporary, full-time at 40 hours per-week and does not include benefits.
JOB ELEMENTS INCLUDE:
- Works with and advises the city’s executive team – Mayor/Council, City Manager and Deputy City Managers regarding strategies related to the dissemination of official city information (particularly on sensitive matters) to various publics: news media, citizens, employees, businesses and other customers.
- Participates in the development of comprehensive strategies and approaches for marketing Glendale locally, regionally and nationally.
- Assesses multiple city departmental marketing needs and conceptualizes, develops, implements and manages strategic communications campaigns and projects that reach, inform and involve citizens at large and/or targeted audiences.
- Plans, develops, writes and manages production of multiple city departmental newsletters, brochures, flyers and other materials prepared for both internal and external audiences.
- Develops, implements and manages citywide special events and tourism programs, including supervision of staff and budgets.
- Participates in the development, implementation and analysis of market research related to the value and effectiveness of city services and programs.
- Writes and produces cable television programs and training and promotional videos for target markets.
- Researches and writes news releases, regional and national awards applications and articles for professional journals and publications on behalf of the Mayor/Council and city management.
- Participates in establishing public relations goals and objectives for client departments, including the production of posters, brochures, flyers and other materials prepared for both internal and external audiences.
- Serves as liaison to the media in handling inquiries, writing news releases and pro-actively “pitching” stories.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with the news media
- Writes monthly citizen and employee newsletter.
- Assists the Marketing/Communications Manager in crisis communications and issues management.
- Assists the Marketing/Communications Manager is developing and implementing marketing campaigns for city services and programs (writing brochures, etc),
- Assists the Marketing/Communications Manager in developing and implementing large projects and campaigns, and in providing communications services to city departments, the City Manager’s Office and the Mayor and Council.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in journalism, marketing, public relations or a related field and four years experience in marketing or public relations. Preference will be given to candidates with previous government experience. Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, is qualifying.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires a valid Arizona driver’s license upon hire.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applications will be screened for the minimum qualifications and special requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and special requirements will be placed on an eligibility list. Eligibility lists are active for up to six months. Human Resources reserves the right to terminate or extend the life of an eligibility list at any time. The hiring department will contact those candidates they wish to test and/or interview. DURING THE SELECTION PROCESS, ANY APPLICANT REQUIRING ACCOMMODATION FOR A DISABILITY SHOULD ADVISE THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT.
All candidates are subject to an extensive background check, including but not limited to, Department of Public Safety and FBI background investigations. Applicants must be truthful and accurate and avoid providing inconsistent information, incorrect dates, partial or incomplete information when completing the application and any supplemental forms. Falsifying or omitting information during any stage of the selection process, may make you ineligible for consideration or continued City employment.
PREFERENCE POINTS: If you are eligible for Employment Preference Points under Arizona Revised Statute 38-492, please complete an Employment Preference Point Form, available in Human Resources, and submit with your application.
RESUME MAY ONLY SERVE AS A SUPPLEMENT TO YOUR APPLICATION
- Application Packet
- Additional Employment History Sheet (if needed)
These documents require either Microsoft Word or Word Viewer. Microsoft Word Viewer can be downloaded free by clicking here.
- Employment Preference Points (veterans or spouses and handicapped persons) Information and Form
This document requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded free at www.adobe.com.
- How to Apply for a Job
Email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax applications to: 623-435-5347
Faxes and emails must be received by 5 p.m. Arizona time the day the job closes.