Friday, January 23, 2009

Arizona Woman's change of life

One more Valley publication has ceased to exist -- at least in its original form -- leaving us freelancers with one less decent-paying outlet.

The Arizona Republic, on the back of Wednesday's Business section, announced Arizona Woman would become "a regular feature section within AZ magazine." It was a tiny article buried just below the fold, and I can't find it on azcentral.com.

It says it will be "part of a strategy to focus on women in Scottsdale and the East Valley." ValleyPRBlog has some things to say about that:
http://www.valleyprblog.com/media/first-bizaz-now-arizona-woman-bites-the-dust/

Shortly after I left the Republic, in the summer of 2007, Arizona Woman was cut to 6 issues a year, so I took that as a sign. I hadn't written for it in a while, but a few 60 Percenters did, and I feel for them. I don't know what "regular feature" means exactly, but I know it means fewer words and lower costs.

The Valley's freelance opportunities are drying up more every day, it seems.


1 comment:

jrndevil said...

So glad that ValleyPRBlog called the AZ Republic out for solely focusing on women in the East Valley. As an (almost) life-long West Valley resident, I'm sick and tired of getting snubbed from EV residents and many businesses. We have affluent households too, darn it! AZ Republic still touts a 2001 survey that found the highest number of millionaires per capita live in 85308, which is a north Glendale area code. *quietly steps off soap box*