Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"Your invited!"

Some of you got my e-mail forwarded from Denver Magazine with the subject line, "Your invited!"

I overlook typos and obvious brain farts in e-mails, especially when sent in haste. I hope others do the same for me.

But this was an invitation to a major launch party from a major city magazine. It seems many of our colleagues in the industry are losing their grasp on the language.

I can't count how many times I've seen local writers use "take a peak" when they meant "take a peek," or "flare" instead of "flair."

And apparently not everyone was in class the day we learned the difference between "it's" and "its." Hint: Read your sentence out loud, replacing "it's" with "it is." If it doesn't work, remove the apostrophe. "It's" is a contraction for "it is," while "its" is possessive -- the neutral correlation to "his" or "hers."

Let's all get on the good grammar and positive punctuation train, folks! I'd love to hear YOUR favorite common errors. YOU'RE invited to post them here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Angry Flower explains how to use apostrophes best:
http://angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

Megan said...

One of my favorites was when a former colleague was giving instructions to other team members on how to dress for an event. She wrote "please wear your suite," instead of suit!