Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another one bites the dust

The economy takes its toll on another publication: bizAZ, the business magazine published by the Arizona Republic, is folding. The November/December issue will be its last.

What in the world will the Business section do for centerpieces now? I never picked up bizAZ anymore, but I could keep up on what my gals Patricia Bathurst, Susie Steckner and Christia Gibbons were doing because their articles were always "repurposed" to the main paper.

Arizona Woman had cutbacks in its publishing schedule this year, too, but as far as I know, that's still clinging to life.

The Republic magazines were among the last in town to pay a decent frelance rate (50 cents a word). Thank goodness Phoenix Magazine is still doing all right, but that one publication is not going to keep all of us writers in town in business.

2 comments:

Angela Mussi said...

Ouch, I had a good gig writing for a special monthly advertising section in bizAZ.
Cutbacks in local pubs will force me to broaden my search for work.
I think there may be lots more writers jumping into freelance work with all the recent layoffs at Tribune and Republic. I'm expecting competition in the freelance world to increase.

Geri Koeppel said...

I agree. I've had a few inquiries from people starting to freelance. But many are going to try to find full-time jobs with benefits, most likely in PR or as PIOs. And even if the freelance pool has more fish, the strong swimmers will survive.