Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ironic

Isn't it ironic that I posted an entry just last night about finding work and how some writers and editors just don't "gel," and this morning I get word that my work for The Times has gone away.
Let's not get into gory details, but just say that while someone there was happy with my first article, someone else was not.

Writing is subjective, as we all know. At our 60 Percenters real life meeting, someone asked if anyone was reading anything good lately and we got into a discussion about books. Slim Smith said he bought "The Shipping News" on my recommendation and stopped reading after two pages! Whoops. Nothing wrong with that; I'm just shocked that I thought he would like it.

Another friend at the meeting had raved about Eat Pray Love and insisted every woman should read it. I tried, but it wasn't for me. I couldn't get past the first chapter. The thing has sold multi-bazillion copies! Oprah loved it! Am I an idiot? Do all of these other readers have insight that I don't?

Nope, it just wasn't a fit for me. It's like going to the mall and trying on clothes. It's not that 99 percent of the clothes at the mall are bad clothes, even though it feels that way sometimes (especially when middle age sets in). Maybe the color wasn't right with my skin tone. Perhaps some clothes aren't cut for my figure.

Whatever the reason, those clothes will probably find a good home with someone, just not me. Now, there's always the case of the lime-green muu-muu, which is just objectively bad.

But rarely do you run a cross the writing equivalent of the lime green muu-muu. I certainly don't think that's my problem (correct me if I'm wrong).

The person at the Times thought if we worked together some more, we might find that fit. It's an idea: Sometimes after I've worn a pair of jeans a few times, they start to feel even better. But if something doesn't feel right in the dressing room right off the bat, I've learned, chances are it will get worse.

Too bad; I hoped I could create stunning ensembles that the Times would be proud to parade around town. Instead, I'm back on the rack, waiting for someone else's eyes to light up and hear them say, "That's exactly what I've been looking for!"

4 comments:

Ann Videan said...

Sorry to hear you're suffering from "Subjective-itis." Know you are not alone. Over the years, I've lost a few clients, too, whose subjective opinion of my writing killed it (and our relationship) dead. We just did not have the same voice. Period.

So, yeah, go out there, raise your hand, and call out, "Next!" You'll find a better fit on a future round.

-Ann N. Videan, APR
Videan Unlimited, LLC, marketing connections
(www.videanunlimited.com/)
..................................................

Joan W said...

Surprised to say the least knowing the calibur of your prose. Not like the Times is a bastion of great literature, either. Serves a niche but heh...come on.
Hated that Eat, Love, whatever book too. Found the rich woman whining offensive. Come on - this very day women are waking up wondering if they are going to be able to keep their kids fed and alive.
You need to go national pubs. You've got the credents and experience.

Unknown said...

I'd be interested to know why you left the AZ Republic. Do you like working for them?

Geri Koeppel said...

I did like working at the Republic for the most part, and I still freelance for them and enjoy that even more. I guess I am not what you call a "team player," so I am not cut out for the corporate world. I left for many personal reasons.

As corporations go, I think the Republic has the average amount of politics, Peter Principle examples and bureaucracy. It's a good job and there are some wonderful people there who I count as good friends. I can't imagine not having the experience of working there; it was an integral segment of my life personally and professionally. It just wasn't for me in the long run.