Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Magazine cliches

I attended Ann Videan's ALWAYS meeting yesterday and one of the funniest moments to come out of it was our conversation on magazine cliches.

I mentioned that I see the same tired old ideas daily on HARO and wonder how these writers keep selling this stuff. Lori Baker countered with the fact that editors continue to think that's what readers want. She said every magazine article on losing weight has the same obvious advice: Don't eat such large portions. Don't snack all day. Etc. Duh.

Then Lori said, gee, maybe that's why magazines are folding! Good insight, Lori.

So what are your favorite magazine cliches? I personally love the totally useless "get fit for swimsuit season" articles that claim you can get a flat belly in 10 days.

2 comments:

Paula Hubbs Cohen said...

Funny topic...how about: "What men/women REALLY want..."

"30-minute meals" (I've yet to find any of these that work for my family, but maybe that's because I want a FIVE-minute meal)

Anything to do with a "new" craft idea for a specific holiday.

Teresa Bitler said...

You're right, Paula. Same old ideas. I usually subscribe to a magazine for a year or two and then cancel because it's the same old recycled story.

It's funny because I see that in the magazines I contribute to regularly. I write for a real estate investment mag, and when I pitch a new angle or idea, they usually aren't too interested. If I pitch some variation of "How to Qualify a Tenant" or "What to Look for in a Property Management Company," it's always a go.