Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Freelancing and finances

I just heard from one of the 60 Percenters who said she was told that if you earn less than $200,000 a year, it's not worth it to set your business up as an S Corp.

I spoke to another colleague a couple weeks ago who did not know what a SEP IRA is, nor was she aware of many of the write-offs we can take for home offices.

I also admit I am guilty of not having the best system for accounting and invoicing. QuickBooks is supposed to be a good program, and I would love to have a demo before buying -- would you?

I'm beginning to think there's a huge need for a confab about freelancing and finances. For the record, my accountant says if your profits are at least about $20,000 a year, an S-Corp can save you THOUSANDS on taxes. And a SEP IRA is for self-employed people, like us, and contributing to one can also ease that tax burden while helping you plan a comfortable future.

Please respond here or e-mail me at gkoeppel@cox.net if you would be interested in attending a panel discussion with a financial advisor, an accountant and freelancers who can share their best practices. Also include best days/times -- do weekends work or are weekday evenings better? -- and let me know if you'll be willing to pay a nominal fee if you aren't an SPJ member. I'll try to find a central location.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geri is the bomb for thinking this up!! let's all give her a big hand...

Paula Hubbs Cohen said...

Yes, yes, yes - early mornings better,at lunch, I'm focused on work and by evenings, I'm pooped :)

Thx, Paula

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested! I got totally stymied when no one could help me figure out the "pay yourself a salary" part.