Thursday, February 19, 2009

Miscellany

I have several housekeeping items for this blog, so here's an index:

1. Next real-life meeting
2. Actors needed
3. Colleen Sparks wants a job
4. Great Washington Post article 

1. Next real-life meeting: How about 9 a.m. next Wednesday morning, Feb. 25, at Crackers & Company Cafe on Elliot Road in Tempe? A few of us last time were on board with it. If you haven't eaten at Crackers, you're in for a treat. It's basic breakfast and lunch comfort food done just right. Their carnitas huevos rancheros are dee-lish, the waffles are superb, the soups are to die for, the salads are out of this world. The list goes on. I've never had a bad meal there.
 It's just west of Hardy, in front of the Staples, where Island Roots Guamanian Restaurant used to be. (Curiously, Guamanian food didn't seem to take off in Tempe.) Still can't place it? OK, you know where Costco is? Go a little further east and it's in a small building in front of the strip mall right up next to Elliot. 

I was going to wait until March to schedule something, but I am going on a special diet for two weeks at the beginning of the month and want to avoid temptation. Yes, a food critic, on a diet. Go figure. But it's only for two weeks, and then I do shake supplements for a few more weeks, and then you will see the slim, trim, muscular physique that I have been developing emerge from under the layers of flab. And then I can eat anything I want, in smaller portions than I've been consuming.

2. Actors needed: I'm almost done with the first draft of my musical comedy stage play, Strip Mall Blues: The Quest for Culture in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm really close, so I want to line up a time next month to have five actors do a read-through so I can start the revisions. I need a 40-something white male, a 20-something female, a 20- or 30-something Latina, a 60- or 70-something white male and a 30- or 40-something female. Acting experience a MUST, but students welcome. Singing and dancing skills also are required, but not super-important just for the read-through. I will provide wine and snacks. 

3. Colleen Sparks wants a job: She is a former Arizona Republic reporter who is doing freelance writing and PR. If you hear of anything where she might fit, please contact her at colleensreporter@hotmail.com. Here is her info:

I wanted to see if you might be able to put out the word in one of your e-mail lists to fellow writers, etc., that I am looking for some kind of part-time job to supplement my income while I grow my business. I am pretty flexible, just looking for something that pays well and would be an interesting experience like working at a bookstore, working in an office or for a non-profit. Other than my 13 years of journalism and year and a half in public relations, I was also a dance minor in college and would love to teach children dance or do anything related to helping a dance studio or arts organization. I have waited tables before but to be honest that really wasn't my forte and I don't know much about alcohol so probably bartending wouldn't be a great option, either. 

4: Great Washington Post article: One of the other 60 Percenters sent this link today regarding newspaper revenues and the future of news. It is worth a read:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/18/AR2009021803762.html?referrer=emailarticle

If the link doesn't work, e-mail me and I will send you the article.

No comments: