Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Reluctant Marketer

Like many freelancers, I often interview small-business owners for articles.

Lately, unsurprisingly, many are telling me how hard the economy has hit them. A few have asked me for suggestions on how to increase their business. Me!

Having never owned a restaurant or retail shop, I don't know if I'm exactly the best resource out there for them. Of course I mention that they could hire a PR/marketing firm, but most of the folks I'm dealing with can't afford it right now.

So I have been inducted into service as The Reluctant Marketer. OK, maybe it's not so reluctant. Sometimes I see basic mistakes and can't help but point them out. For instance, this once came out of my mouth: "You're never going to get the clientele you want with this wine list." (I recently heard that the restaurant in question, which never changed its list, is not doing so well.)

Other times, I have been asked for ideas on boosting business, and if I think I can help, I make suggestions. I recommend using e-mail newsletters effectively, for example. I've had ideas for promotions. I have told people (when asked) that they have basic problems with the food and service that no amount of marketing will overcome.

I don't know if any of my advice will help these struggling businesses, but I sure hope so. It makes me wonder if I have a second career in me yet.

I wonder if other freelancers give advice to people they've interviewed? Has anyone else thought about leaving the writing biz for marketing? Some of you do both -- is it tough to balance?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great topic Geri! I don't interview too many small business owners, so this issue doesn't come up that often for me, but one time I did have a business owner who I had worked with on a story email me the link to his website and ask me for my opinions. Overall the website was great, but it did contain my one website pet peeve--un-asked for audio. When I clicked on the home page a video about their company automatically started playing and it was pretty loud. After telling the owner how great his site was overall, I gently suggested that he make the video an option for people to click on, and it was nice to check back on the website later and see that he had done just that. I have done some PR but not marketing per se, but I guess we all sort of are inherently doing marketing when we are writing about a business in a positive way.

Christine K. Bailey said...

I agree! Great topic, Geri. I'm a freelance writer who does both. I have clients I write sales and marketing material for and I also write for publication. I don't know that it's tough to balance. I haven't had any clients overlap; however, I did find myself in an interesting situation this year. I interviewed a small business owner about his unique business model and found myself helping him clarify his message. It came out simply because I was trying to find the right angle for the article and in drilling down with my questions. He realized, "Oh! Maybe I'm coming at this whole thing from the wrong place". He said, "Maybe you should write my marketing materials!" I laughed and thought I'd love to! But, since I didn't want a conflict of interest, I just wrote the article. But, there are lots of small to mid sized business owners who could benefit from our help as experts in the written word. I'm looking to connect with them as a freelance writer. It's what I've been doing for the last 10 years; and I love helping companies clearly communicate their messages to the right clients. There's definitely a need, and it could be as simple as repositioning your experiences. What restaurant wouldn't want marketing advise from a food critic?! However, I can see how there might be a conflict.

Ann Videan said...

I've been managing both PR and freelancing since I started my Videan Unlimited marketing connections firm in 1996. It's not tough to balance, but you do need to keep your eyes out for conflicts of interest.

I also believe the information you store in your brain should be shared. I'm always giving marketing people advice or ideas for resources to help them. The more people who see you as an expert - not to mention as someone who can make their lives easier - the more they want to work with you, either as a freelancer or a PR consultant.

Ann N. Videan, APR
Videan Unlimited, LLC
www.videanunlimited.com